Just a girl who writes about books

Reviews, Book-to-Movie Adaptations, Stacking the Shelves

Friday, February 7, 2014

Book-to-Movie Adaptation: Divergent Final Trailer Discussion

Watch the trailer first!

    This trailer made me very excited to see the movie! For the most part, the movie seems to stick to the book. There were a few minor things that upset me, such as Tris capturing the flag at the fairgrounds instead of Christina but that was just a small detail. Also, I thought that Four/Tobias looked too old for the role. In the book, Four is only 18 years-old, but in the movie he looks much older. I also felt that the trailer gave away too much of the story. In the novel, it was a big secret to be Divergent, and it still appeared to be so in the trailer, but Tris wasn't supposed tell anyone she was Divergent and it seemed that her mother already knew and was telling her what to do about it. Also, the movie changed the way Tris attacked the dog in the simulation. In the book, if I remember correctly, Tris is able to make a gun appear to shoot the dog, which is a big deal, but in the trailer Tris simply tackles the dog.
     Some things I enjoyed about the trailer was the editor's scene choice. The editor put in scenes that made the movie look like never-ending acton, which will intrigue not only fans of the book, but also people who have not read the book. In addition, I adore the music choice. It was very upbeat and left me tapping along with the rhythm.  I also liked how they portrayed the different factions. I thought that it looked very cool how you could easily tell the separation of the factions based on their clothing color which stood out. Additionally, I like the casting choices for Eric and Jeanine. Eric has the perfect amount of scary, mean, strictness, and that cruel leader look. Jeanine looked very sophisticated but you could tell that she was also menacing under her false front. The scene where Four and Tris were climbing the ferris wheel looked exactly how I pictured it when I was reading it. The simulation scene also looked cool with all of the Dauntless walking in unison with their guns at their shoulder.
     All in all, I am very excited for this movie to come out. Although there were some things  I was displeased with, there were still many that I enjoyed. MARCH 21ST COME FASTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment