Just a girl who writes about books

Reviews, Book-to-Movie Adaptations, Stacking the Shelves

Monday, February 24, 2014

Book Review: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

Title: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

Author: Ally Carter

Genre: Young Adult Romance/Spy Thriller 

Page Count: 284

Publication Date: April 25th, 2006

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

Awards: Georgia Peach Honor Book Award (2007), Abraham Lincoln Award Nominee (2010)

Source


     I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (gosh that's a mouthful!) by Ally Carter is about a teenage girl named Cammie Morgan who attends the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. Although from the outside this school seems like your everyday all-girls boarding school, it's really a school for spies. Cammie knows how to speak 14 different languages and is able to kill someone in 7 different ways but when she meets a normal boy who thinks she's a normal girl she has no idea what to do. I found this book to be very enjoyable. The characters were likable and the plot was gripping, however there were a few thinks that I didn't like about the writing style.
     One of the things I appreciated about the story were the characters. All of the characters seemed very realistic and understandable. The three main characters, Cammie, Bex and Liz, were very entertaining. Cammie is a genius and is able to use super, spy equipment to track people and go on missions. I liked how she was so determined to venture outside of the school to meet with her charming boyfriend and learn more about him with her spy skills. This proved her to be an intelligent, persistent young lady who I came to love. Bex is one of Cammie's best friends and is always there for her. She will do anything to help her friend out when she is in need. Liz, Cammie's other best friend, is also always there for Cammie. Liz is a major brainiac and is always preparing for tests and pop quizzes that never seem to come. She helps Cammie hack computers and find information that she wants to know.
     Another one of the things I appreciated about the story was the plot. I found the story to be very intriguing which let me read through it really fast. I adored all of the spy aspects the author put into the story. I loved learning about these girls who never left their school, except for summer break, and how they reacted to gossip and rumors. I was awestruck by the amazing things the students did and were capable of. I was fascinated by the missions Cammie, Bex, and Liz went on and how they were able to accomplish their missions. I loved the relationship between Cammie and Josh. They were the cutest couple! Their story of how they met was adorable and their relationship grew into something splendid enough for Cammie to sneak out every night to see him. 
     Although there were many things I loved about the story, there were still a few things I disliked about the writing style. I was very annoyed by the many side notes that were put into the story. They seemed unnecessary to the plot and were just a pain to try to read over. I understand that the book was written from the point of view of a nearly sixteen-year-old girl, but the remarks she made were very bothersome. Also, the Summary of Surveillance reports Cammie, Bex, and Liz wrote seemed unprofessional. I know that they weren't for anything important, but for girls who attend a school for genius spies it seemed amateurish.
     All in all,  I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You was a quality read. The characters and plot line were excellent! I'm looking forward to eventually reading the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment